What Makes a Restaurant Ocean Friendly?
Restaurants participating in the OFR Campaign MUST follow these three criteria:
1. No EPS foam (“styrofoam”) use; take-out food containers are recyclable (in your area) or compostable
2. Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining inside restaurants*
3. Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
1. Plastic straws are provided only upon request or are replaced with compostable straws
2. All take-out beverage containers are recyclable (in your area) or compostable
3. Takeout bags are not made of plastic and are provided only upon request.
4. Only compostable utensils are provided for take-out, upon request
5. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
*Food trucks and take-out restaurants with no significant on-site dining are exempt from requirement #2.
Beginning in Summer 2016, the Hawaiʻi OFR team will begin certifying existing Ocean Friendly Restaurants as “Platinum Level” OFR if they meet all 8 requirements!
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
♦ OFR sticker decal for your storefront window! ♦ Promotion statewide via this website and our OFR Hawaiʻi Facebook page ♦ OFR table-topers or diner brochures to let your customers know why this is important
Restaurants Certified State-Wide!
OFR Hawaiʻi Facebook Page
Nominate an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
Do you own, work at or eat a restaurant that you think qualifies as ocean friendly? Please let us know so we can contact them about becoming certified!
What You Can Do
♦ Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage ♦ Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge ♦ Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic ♦ Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here” ♦ Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water ♦ If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant ♦ Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food